CLIMB UP for Summer Research at University of Buffalo
The CLIMB (Collaborative Learning and Integrated Mentoring in the Biosciences) Program at UB has created CLIMB UP for Summer Research, an outstanding summer research experience for undergraduate students to excel in biomedical, STEM, and health science research and explore career opportunities. Now entering its 12th summer, the overall goal is to introduce you to research opportunities, facilitate understanding of recent advances in the STEM disciplines, and mentor you towards graduate and professional careers. As a CLIMB UP Fellow, you will be guided through novel and exciting research projects and mentored by faculty, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows through the summer and beyond. You will spend 10 weeks in the laboratory of your research mentor, whom you will be paired with based on your interests. We will train you in various areas necessary to safely and efficiently perform your research and related activities.
What Areas of Research Does CLIMB UP Offer?
The CLIMB UP for Summer Research offers many diverse research opportunities in the STEM disciplines. Faculty are associated with a wide range of UB programs, encompassing virtually every aspect of scientific research.
Based on your interests and career goals, you can apply to work with mentors who fall under 3 categories:
• ASPET-SURF mentors do research in the Departments of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Sciences. If you're interested in those fields, this is a great place to learn more.
• CLIMB PRO mentors are located in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. Most are MDs working in clinical settings. If you're pre-med, or looking towards a career in medicine and/or research, we recommend you check out CLIMB PRO!
• iSEED mentors work in a wide variety of scientific disciplines at 7 different UB schools, including Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Dental Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Public Health and Health Professions, Engineering and Applied Sciences, and College of Arts and Sciences. If you're interested in any of those fields, we highly recommend checking out iSEED.
Undecided!?! No problem! On your application, please let us know which mentors and/or areas of science are most interesting to you, and upon acceptance, we will work with you to select the best mentor for you.
What’s on the Agenda? May 26-August 1, 2020
As a CLIMB UP Fellow, you will:
• Complete individualized lab rotations
• Learn and apply laboratory skills (1-week course)
• Gain exposure to a wide variety of STEM disciplines
• Discover graduate and professional school possibilities at UB
• Present your research in a formal symposium setting
• Enjoy all Summer in Western New York offers
• Build lasting relationships with mentors and fellow students
Who Is Eligible for CLIMB UP?
CLIMB UP trains highly qualified undergraduate students interested in scientific research. Students receive a living stipend through SURF, CLIMB PRO, or iSEED (and other sources if available), and housing is provided for students who live outside of Western New York. Students enrolled in the program are entering their sophomore, junior, or senior years in undergraduate programs in colleges and universities nationwide. We are often asked if students can be recent college graduates- and the answer is yes, but you should not be already enrolled in an advanced degree program. Students must be US citizens or permanent residents to be eligible for funding.
How Do I Apply?Submit no later than February 1, 2020: